Split Knuckle
Thursday, August 10, 2006
  Seeing Shows
Two shows I've seen that I've liked have been Happy Hour - It Takes 3 and Spymonkey - Cooped. Both are basically clown shows, the first American and the second English. I mean clown in a pretty broad sense--no red noses or mime or tumbling, but plenty of slapstick and stupid, stupid behavior. Happy Hour are 3 guys who trained at Ringling Bros. clown college (according to Seth). The story of their show, such as it is, has them driving to California to become a boyband, but it's really just an excuse for them to do loads of little skits & gags with the audience. Plus there's a great encore performance with bathrobes. Spymonkey's story, or what counts as their story, is about a secretary going to work at an English manor where a suspicious death has just taken place. Again, that's just a reason for endless amounts of amusing stupidity. It took a while for me to get into their show; for a while I was thinking, "Oh, that's funny," without actually laughing. Then the bishop came onstage. There's a bit involving his ring that had me gasping for air I was laughing so hard. It's a very simple gag, but executed with such amazing craft that it absolutely kills. From then on, I was hooked and often found myself hooting in delight. The list of things I have yet to see is very long--at least a dozen--and it's growing, but fortunately there's time yet.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

ARCHIVES
January 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / November 2006 / October 2007 / December 2007 /


Powered by Blogger